Tuesday, November 20, 2012

'Mango People' in 'Banana Republic' - Procrastinate, the day isn't far!

The shiv-sainiks displayed highest level of discipline on the day of their leader's demise and on the following day during the farewell procession. They need to be lauded for this because not only was the city of Mumbai, but the entire state of Maharashtra was put on high alert and slightest of a spark would have created havoc.

But, I was pretty sure, given the history of the sainiks, that their resort to peace would not last long.

The most happening city of India had come to a complete halt on the 17th and 18th. Vehicles did not ply, local trains ran empty and the all-time-busy Mumbaikars had a zero day, whether they wanted it or not. Most accepted this, unquestioned, as if like a diktat. Some were frustrated, a few vented it out, through the present day pressure release valve - the social media.

One among the few was a 21 year old, candid, some may say immature, girl from Thane district, a strong hold of the sainiks, who wrote on her Facebook page that people like Thackarey die often, but 'bandh' on such days was not required. The girl, in the wildest of her dreams, would not have thought that she would be a victim to the sainik's ire.

Yes, she was arrested, the same night, reportedly under IPC section 505(2) and section 66(A) of the Information Technology act. The former talks about creating enmity, hatred or ill-will between classes and the latter about causing harm to an individual or group by using electronic media. I still find it difficult to understand how the girl's post happened to do either.

Surprisingly, not just the girl, but her friend who 'liked' the post, in Facebook, was also arrested. The ire doesn't end here. The girl's uncle's clinic was also vandalized by a group of people. The group, however, was not arrested, until today morning. Shocked? Come on, this is India folks!

I aired my resentment against this by posting about this in my Twitter handle and Facebook profile. I, using the freedom of speech given to me by the Constitution, did write to what my mind, and I am sure to many others' too, seemed right. I was asked by some of my well wishers to show restraint while commenting on such issues, and some even asked me to remove my posts immediately, for my own good. Bearing the fact that my act may bring trouble to my well wishers and respecting their words, I removed those posts, though I had and still have my own reservations and justification. In the present times of diplomacy, I am sure that my justifications will carry no weight.

We are in the largest democracy. We have the longest written and one of the most respected Constitution in the world. Our leaders chose democracy because they wanted us to be our own masters (but not others' masters like in this case). The democracy gives it's people the right to faith in rationality of the human mind. I take extreme pride in being born and living in a country like ours.

However, there are some sections in our laws that curb our sovereignty or give room for people to misconstrue them, section 66(A) of the IT act, for instance. It may be argued by politicians that the courts are here to interpret these provide clarity, but this cannot be an excuse for framing laws that can be misinterpreted easily.

The freedom given to every citizen is not to be taken for granted, be it the rich or the powerful. The law enforcement departments should be more prudent and ensure that they work without bias and not under the pressure of vested interest groups. The law makers should keep in mind the aam admi while drafting laws. The media should work fearlessly and be bold to condemn the wrong doings of those in power. The courts should take suo moto action, when ever the situation demands, and punish those found guilty. In this case, not just the police but also the forces behind the police who made them to act in this manner. Lastly, the aam admi too should be more thoughtful in actions, I mean the people who resort to violence and not the ones who air their genuine concerns.

I certainly do not feel that what the girls have done is wrong. Many respected people in our country and from abroad have expressed their resent. Justice Markandey Katju has written strongly to the Maharashtra Chief Minister and warned him of dire consequences in case of his failure to act. Well known journalist Vinita Deshmukh has started a online signature campaign against the section 66(A) of IT act. (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/appeal-to-prime-minister-manmohan-singh-to-amend/)

I wish, this incident, and the ones that happened in the recent past, give enough gravity to the issue and calls for wide spread deliberations, making the concerned people act in favour of the aam admi.

I hope the government doesn't stay oblivious to such issues and make we, the aam admi of our country 'mango people' in a 'banana republic'.

I would like to end by quoting Chetan Bhagat's response to this incident - "Bravery and bullying are two different things. Arresting people and arresting thoughts are two different things."

Jai Hind!