Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Year Resolution - A Gandhian Way

A letter to my beloved brother.

Dear brother,

Firstly, please accept my belated new year wishes. I pray to God that this year keeps you happy mentally, at work and also brings you success in all your endeavours.

Now, let me share with you one of my new year resolutions. I share this with you because it equally involves both of us.

The resolution is simple - I want you to give up drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes once and for all.

The physical and psychological problems that it creates, I am sure, need no reiteration. The agony caused to all at home ensuing your continued persuasion to these poisonous substances, is by itself, a deterrent. Your lack of want or your inability to restrain from these substances, I am not sure which of the two, is extremely distressing.

On her asking, if you could recall, you had promised your mother on her birthday, the past year, that you will stop drinking alcohol. But, sadly, you have not been able to keep your promise.

There are chances that as you read through you may be vexed thinking of the fact that I, a younger brother, am trying to be prescriptive. I would urge you not to think in the like. It is my love for you and the repugnance towards these substances that makes me write to you.

I want you to stop taking these poisons any more. You may think over this and live life the way like I and many of your well wishers want you to, for some days. But, I am afraid, that would be very short-lived. These words, quite naturally, cannot have an impact long enough that it will make you habituated to live a life without these.

Hence, I put before you, my contribution to this joint resolution of our's.

I would humbly like to tell you that from the very next time you resort to these substances; and it comes to my knowledge, which I am sure it will, I will go on a fast unto death.

You may find this stupid or exaggerated, but I have decided this and I see no scope of repealing this decision of mine.

I lay my life in your hands. I leave you with two choices, one, of your younger brother's life and the other,  your desire for these poisonous pleasures.

The next time your mind pushes you towards these substances, let it also remind you the fact that you will have to witness your brother's starved death, much before the slow and pained death which you will face by the intake of these very substances.

I am sure you will take these words of mine, both  in letter and spirit.

Lastly, I would like to quote to you the great Mahatma Gandhiji. "Man is a man because he is capable of, and only in so far as he exercises, self-restraint." Self-restraint is what we all human beings need to follow in all spheres of life. I am sure, we will be able to achieve success in this joint exercise of our's.

Your loving brother,
Siddu.
Jai Hind!